

# Central Massachusetts Area of Narcotics Anonymous Meeting Minutes

January 6th 2025 at 6:30 p.m.

Mailing Address: Central MA Area Service Committee  
P.O. Box 60492  
Greendale Station  
Worcester, MA 01606

Next Meeting: February 3rd at 6:30 p.m.  
Hybrid Format  
Physical Location: Greendale People's Church  
25 Francis Street, Worcester, MA. 01606  
Zoom: Meeting ID: 982 1512 6502  
Passcode: NA1953

## Meeting Opened

The meeting opened at 6:30 p.m. with a moment of silence, followed by the "We" version of the serenity prayer, the 12 Traditions, 12 Concepts, and A Vision for NA Service.

## Announcements to Groups

GSRs are asked to please read all announcements at your group business meeting. If your group does not have a GSR, any trusted servant or group member can attend the Area meeting to bring concerns, changes, or announcements from the group and to bring information and Area news back to the group.

- Anyone new to Area should attend at 6:00PM for orientation
- Events:
  - CMA Learning Day Presentation January 25th 1-4pm @ 44 Temple St. Worcester MA
  - Valentine's Day Dance February 14th 7-10pm @ 44 Temple St. Worcester MA, \$10 suggested contribution- no addict will be turned away
  - NERC Regional Convention March 14th-16th @ Sturbridge Host Hotel, 366 Main St. Sturbridge MA. The link for registration can be found [here](#).
- New Meetings:
  - "Steps to Recovery" on Wednesday 7:45pm-9:15pm @ 19 Concord St. Framingham MA  
(ENTRANCE IN BACK)
- New GSR:
  - "Steps to Recovery" Anthony L.
- Announcements:
  - The New England Region has created a form for groups/service bodies/members to submit votes on the motions proposed by World Services for the Interim World Service Conference Report. You can find the form [here](#). **The deadline is February 15th**, please see below for more information.
  - **NOMINATIONS for CMASC service positions** will be due **NEXT MONTH** (February), if you or someone you know are interested **PLEASE ATTEND**

- NA World Services has a survey available for individual members to anonymously gather demographic and related data. You can find the survey in English [here](#). **The deadline for submitting this survey is January 31st. PLEASE ONLY SUBMIT ONCE.**
- NA World Services has a survey available for individual members, groups, and service bodies to gauge opinion on the current step working literature. The goal is to utilize the gathered data to improve the available NAWS-approved resources. You can find the survey in English [here](#). **The deadline for submitting this survey is March 17th.**
- NA World Services has a **NEW** survey available for individual members, groups, and service bodies to collect input on the creation of a guide for virtual services. The goal is to gather input on the outline they have created on what this piece of literature would include. You can find the survey in English [here](#). **The deadline for submitting this survey is March 1st.**
- NA World Services has a **NEW** survey available for individual members to collect input regarding this year's World Convention and World Conventions to come. The goal is to gather opinions and experiences and take this data into account when planning future WSCs. You can find the survey in English [here](#). **There is currently no deadline listed for this survey.**
- Meetings in need of addict support:
  - “Back to Basics” on Friday 7pm-8pm @ 695 Southbridge St. Worcester MA
  - “Never Too Early” on Sunday 12pm-1pm @ 25 Francis St. Worcester MA
  - “Sweet Surrender” on Sunday 7:30pm-8:30pm @ 461 King St. Littleton MA (Hybrid-<https://zoom.us/j/354651083> )
  - “Message is Hope” on Tuesday 7:30pm-8:30pm @ 33 Main St. Marlborough MA
  - “Last Door on the Left” on Friday 8pm-9pm 461 King St. Littleton MA
  - “Get it Together” on Sunday 7pm-8:30pm @ 19 Concord St. Framingham MA (*ENTRANCE IN BACK*)
- Motions:
  - *Money motion:* \$75 for PR, \$50 for event food and \$25 for rent
    - *PASSED*
  - *Money motion:* Withdraw \$26.39 from the prudent reserve to fulfill the \$75 motion for PR
    - *PASSED*
- Motions that affect policy and will need to be brought back to groups:
  - None

### Attendance Report

Attached to these minutes.

### Area Trusted Servants and Subcommittee Reports

**Chairperson:** Dennis M.

None

**Vice Chair:** Craig R.

The next Executive Subcommittee Meeting will be at 6:30 PM on Monday January 27

Zoom Meeting ID: 982 1512 6502

Passcode: NA1953

- The Executive Subcommittee met on December 30th
- Still need online banking set up before we can start a financial review and audit for 2023 and 2024.
- The subcommittee again discussed having all subcommittees submit annual financial reports and budget estimates for next yr.
- A NERNA Workshop will be held on Jan 12<sup>th</sup> for the 12 motions in the Interim WSC Report. This will be added to the agenda for the next Area Mtg.
- NESSNA is in April 2025. Region is funding 2 reps from each area and we have a set aside for 2 reps. This will be added to the agenda for the next Area Mtg.
- As a follow-up to Coralee's presentation on the results of the Area Inventory we discussed having her back for a Strategic Planning session. This will be added to the agenda for the next Area Mtg.

**RCM:** Teri T.

See the attached full report

**Alternate RCM:** *Vacant*

**Secretary:** Lila H.

None

**Asst. Secretary:** *Vacant*

**Campout Committee:** Kyle C.

The committee met on December 22nd at 7pm for the first time this campout cycle. The meeting emphasis was on the primary purpose of the campout and the need to socialize the event more efficiently than the prior years to assure we get the support we know we can. One major accomplishment was settling on our theme: "A Better Perspective". Inspired by the JFT line "Just for Today, through NA, I will get a better perspective on my life."

We would love support socializing the need for a logo and would like all submissions by the February 2nd meeting. The winning submitter will receive a free registration to the campout!

Thanks to the website chair for assistance in getting the meeting cadence and zoom configured on the Website!

The topics discussed were:

Agenda

- Brainstorm Campout Flow
  - Primary Purpose
  - Outreach
  - Simple and Cost Effective

- Propose Theme Ideas
  - Pick a date, start polling or accept idea
  - Get inputs for artwork
- Discuss Fundraiser ideas
  - Dance, Game night, food or other
- Positions
  - Anyone can participate - delegation approach until funds are involved
- Funding
  - Area replenishing seed money

Some outstanding tasks we are going to gather information on for discussion at the next meeting:

1. Contact other campgrounds surrounding Worcester to compare pricing.
2. Contact Camp Marshall to get a quote.
3. Gather costs of Tents and Grills if used instead of renting the upper grounds of Camp Marshall.
4. Get some fundraising ideas for discussion.
5. Identify other events in Central Mass, both NA and Recovery, to consider if pivoting a week or two could allow more participation.

Thanks for the support!

-Kyle C

**Hospitals & Institutions:** John D.

The H&I Subcommittee met on Dec 15, 2024 3 addicts in person and 5 online.

9 facilities are currently active and seeking more commitments. We have open positions such as assistant literature and panel leader and we can always use speakers.

Applications for MCI Framingham are available for members. Area Inventory survey for H&I.

A financial breakdown of our Learning Day has been compiled. We want to change Learning Day to August 2nd and want to work with Events to organize the event.

I attended region last month where a main topic was writing steps in recovery and the NERNA H&I presentation at the upcoming convention. If anyone is interested in writing steps with incarcerated individuals please see me for more information. We have a FSNoG retreat workshop spot.

ILS,

John D.

H&I Chairman

Links:

Draft of the Panel Member Survey:

<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOtjC9w40bkpvakgovRYTyiG8RUt0M2DC2ZwpINnJEggRhQA/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0>

H&I Orientation video: <https://youtu.be/izgiNI81qeM>

Next Subcommittee Meeting:

January 19th, 6:00pm at 44 Temple Street (Saint John's Church) in the Rectory, with orientation held at 5:30pm.

The meeting will also be available via Zoom:

ID: 98215126502 Passcode: NA1953

**Events:** Courtney B.

December 24th, 2024 there were 9 out of 12 slots in attendance

December 25th, 2024 there were 8 out of 12 slots in attendance

December 31st, 2024 there were 9 out of 12 slots in attendance

January 1st, 2025 there were 7 out of 8 slots in attendance.

There was some significant flooding on January 1st, 2025 but with the help of several addicts the first slot was able to start only 15 minutes late.

There were two no shows from groups for all 5 days. A literature meeting was held by members of the event subcommittee for all open slots.

Total financial report for all 5 dates is \$584.

Seed money to be replaced is \$400

Rent to the facility is \$92

Contribution to ASC is \$92.

**Outreach Committee:** Mike A.

- Subcommittee will be meeting this 2nd Friday of the month at 6:15pm at St Mark's in Leominster, 60 West St. and we could use addict support.
- I have reviewed some material I have from doing Outreach a handful of yrs back, but Jonathan (from website) also sent along a good handful of great suggestions and resources.
- I intend to purchase some basic helpful literature around group service positions, etc to be able to have on hand and available to groups we visit that could utilize or want it.
- I can file a money motion at a later date to try and get approval for recouping any cash spent at that time.
- The only other current Subcommittee member (Megan M) will be moving forward with the previous idea of supplying a women's friend on the phone list to small groups who may lack attendance and even less female attendance.
- That way they would be able to offer a way for new or coming back women showing up to small groups to get connected with other women.

- (Of course all numbers collected and distributed would be done so with clear consent)
- I'd like to put together a men's list as well for the same purpose, to supplement contacts to those showing up to small groups with less members to offer support.
- So far we completed one group visit to Athol and should have visited another group by next month.
- Hopefully we'll connect with activities about trying to organize an event in the Leominster area in coming mos as well.

In loving service,  
Mike A.

**Next Subcommittee Meeting:**

Friday, February 14th @ 6pm  
St. Mark's Episcopal Church  
60 West St. Leominster, MA

**Website/Media:** Jonathan S.

- A reminder that for any events that groups or subcommittees would like placed on the NERNA calendar, we will do so for you and to let us know as soon as possible (you do not have to wait for the next ASC meeting)
- Please email event information to [websitechair@centralmassna.org](mailto:websitechair@centralmassna.org) so it can be uploaded to our area calendar.
- Will continue to ask for contacts for every group that is currently meeting to get email contact information for the BML T. (this does not have to be a GSR).
- ASC minutes and Attendance were uploaded when they were emailed out by the Vice-Chair.
- Currently have a task team led by bubbles to review other sites for ideas on how we may improve ours.
- Updates made to the Spur of the Moment Campout page and their biweekly meeting was added to the calendar
- The zoom team is still looking for members to train in using the equipment. And discussion about using a TV or Monitor at the ASC was discussed.
- Full analytics in Addendum A of full report Total Views: 1,893 Total Visitors: 801
- We continue to offer walk-thrus for any interested member, please contact [websitechair@centralmassna.org](mailto:websitechair@centralmassna.org) to schedule.
- Next Meeting will be held on January 20th at 7:00pm on the ASC Zoom:
  - Zoom: ID: 98215126502 Passcode: NA1953

ILS,  
Website subcommittee

**Policy:** *Vacant*

**Public Relations:** Riss R.

A full report on WSLD was done at Region this month, one solely on PR panels and it is available on Slack General Page. Another member and myself filled the Sheriff's Office rack on Friday 11/30/24 and I have left a

voicemail with a contact at the Drug Court! The Worcester Drug Court is not interested in having a literature rack at this time. The regional training chair and hopefully another member have offered their help with a learning day with us on 1/25/25. I have reached out to Father Madden to see if we can use the space and we will be meeting about this event on 1/7/25 @ 7pm on zoom. The information is on [centralmassna.org](https://centralmassna.org) under the events calendar tab. Also, the WSLD presentation report is linked below!! Please feel free to view and learn! All 4 delegates are happy to help with panel presentations!!

<https://prezi.com/view/kw37r4NiiQm1Jtp9seM7/>

ILS,  
Riss

**Inventory/Scan Ad Hoc:** Jonathan S.

Discussion to come in open forum to decide how to proceed with strategic planning now that the data from the area inventory scan has been presented.

**Phone Line:** Anthony L.

3 calls were received this month, 1 of which was from NERNA to perform a quality check and they were pleased with the phone line response time.

**Treasurer:** Annastasia D.

Prior Bal: \$117.61  
Contributions: \$349.00  
Paid Out: (Rent, H&I, \*\*PO box)- \$393.00  
Campout: \$775.00  
Prudent: \$1900  
Events:\$0  
NESSSNA Set Aside: \$500  
**GROSS:** \$3223.61  
**AVAILABLE:** \$48.61

*\*\*It was discovered that the mailbox has been closed despite payment when the chair went to collect any mail, further investigation is to come, and updates will be provided.*

**Asst. Treasurer:** Vacant

## Old Business

- The review and revision of area policy is still underway. Updates will be provided as progress is made.

## Group Concerns

- “Back to Basics” on Friday nights in Worcester is seeking support from experienced members as there is a high volume of newcomers at their meeting. They are also seeking suggestions on how to mitigate

this imbalance; one member suggested that changing the format to a speaker meeting could potentially help.

- Several meetings requested addict support: “Get it Together” in Framingham, “Sweet Surrender” in Littleton, “Last Door on the Left” in Littleton, “Never Too Early” in Worcester, and “Message is Hope” in Marlborough. Please see the announcements section for more meeting information.

### Open Forum opened @~8pm

- Several financial matters were discussed
  - Concerns were raised around CMA’s regional contributions being significantly lower in comparison to other areas. There was conversation about what factors are causing the area’s financial struggles, including but not limited to fellowship-wide post-Covid repercussions, the large number of groups that are not involved with area services, and the current economic climate. There was also conversation about prioritizing area needs separate from NERNA contributions and redirecting focus to self-sustainability efforts which would consequently generate more money to contribute in the future. It was also mentioned that the upcoming area audit will provide more information on why this recurring issue is persisting as well as ways to manage it.
  - There was a discussion surrounding fundraising and ways to increase area income. The issue of the large number of groups that aren’t involved in area services was expanded upon, most significantly that these groups do not contribute to area, and mainly the groups that do contribute are the most involved. It was concluded that as the newly revitalized Outreach subcommittee makes contact with these groups, hopefully, there will be an increase in area-level participation and contributions. Another suggestion that was made for fundraising was to increase the number of area events. It was highlighted that the events subcommittee is in need of support, thus limiting the ability to put on more revenue-generating events. The events vice chair requested that should anyone have any ideas for any events please share them.
  - It was revisited that the practice of subcommittee financial reports has fallen out of habit, and for subcommittees to please share any financial information with the area. It was also mentioned that the upcoming area audit will most likely help this practice be more consistent going forward.
- A Google Form has been created by region for groups to fill out and cast their votes on the 12 motions included in the Interim World Service Conference Report (IWR). **The deadline for form submission is February 15th, please make sure to review the form with your group before then.** The form can be found [here](#), and the full IWR from NA World Services can be found [here](#).
- With the Northeastern States Service Symposium (NESSSNA) quickly approaching, it was suggested that this body decide which 4 members it is going to send to attend (2 being funded by region, 2 being funded by the area’s NESSSNA setaside). It was concluded that this will be revisited at the February ASC meeting, as the next regional meeting is shortly after.
  - There will be an orientation held for first-time attendees of NESSSNA on the first day of the event (Friday, April 25th @3:45pm)
- It was mentioned that now that the data collected by the area inventory scan has been presented, this body should select a time to continue with strategic planning based on the given results. It was decided that the best time to conduct a strategic planning session would be at the May ASC meeting, as that is when there will be an overlap in incoming and outgoing trusted servants.



## New Business

- **Open positions include: Asst. Secretary, Asst. Treasurer, Policy Chair, and Alt. RCM**
- **Nominations for trusted servant elections** will be held **next month (February ASC)**, if you have/are a member you would like to nominate for a position please attend

## Motions:

- *Money motion:* \$75 for PR, \$50 for event food and \$25 for rent
  - o *PASSED*
- *Money motion:* Withdraw \$26.39 from the prudent reserve to fulfill the \$75 motion for PR
  - o *PASSED*

ILS,  
Lila H.